ad

Friday, May 20, 2016

Boozy Weekends - Sangria Recipe ( Always Summer In Ghana )

Weekends are times to unwind and just relax but unfortunately for me its always Work, Work, Work, so on the rare occasion that I am normally off I take my time to indulge in the pleasures of a boozy day and my go to drink is normally some wine, preferably Red Wine, any would do from Merlot to Pinotage or any fruity, full bodied, somewhat-dry red wine will do

But there comes a time when you want something more lush and boozy so why not turn up the volume and make a Sangria.

Considering am in the hinterlands I have to use what I had at my disposal but you can substitute them as you choose to your palates content.
This is not a typical Sangria Recipe , I used what was available to me at the moment. Feel free to use whichever fruit of your liking.



Red Sangria

Ingredients
  • 1 orange, rind on, sliced into small pieces, large seeds removed (plus more for garnish)
  • Some watermelon slics
  • 3Tbsp of sugar ( optional/ I did not use sugar)
  • 1 cup orange juice ( freshly squeezed ) or Grape Juice
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) brandy and malibu rum plus more to taste
  • 1 750 ml bottle dry Spanish red wine* I used what I had but Pinotage from Nederburg was fine.
  • Ice to chill (~1 cup)




Instructions

  • Add oranges and sugar*(optional) to a large pitcher and muddle with a wooden spoon for 45 seconds.
  • Add orange juice/grape juice and brandy and muddle again to combine for 30 seconds. I prefer to let it steep for 24hrs but you can opt for use immediately or after 30 mins.
  • Add red wine and stir to incorporate, then taste and adjust flavor as needed. I added a bit more brandy, and grape juice. Stir to combine.
  • Add ice and stir once more to chill. Serve as is, or with a bit more ice. Garnish with orange segments (optional).
  • Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours, though best when fresh.



Pineapple White Sangria

  • Following similar Instructions as above , substitute The Orange Juice with Fresh squeezed Pineapple juice only .


  • Substitute the Brandy with Malibu Rum only.


  • Substitute the Red Wine with White Wine.



Voila - Enjoy and let us know if you try it out.