So I am not a recipe specialist, but have my own techniques I use and the food always comes out right. I will share a few of my tips here in the best measured way possible.
One thing about cooking is your preference is always the best way forward and being delicate with what u are cooking will always make it turn out right.
So my easy steps for Making Waakye without the Waakye leaf, for those especially out of Ghana and may not have access to it.
Baking Soda is the Key to this but u can also do without it.
Preparation Time- 2hrs including soaking of beans period
Difficulty -Medium ( but with my tips- Easy)
2 cups of black eyed beans
3-4 cups of rice ( I used jasmine, but any rice you prefer can be used)
2 tablespoons of baking soda
As per the video on YouTube it short and simple with these few ingredients.
1. Soak your beans for at least 30mins to an hour.
2. Put the soaked beans to a boil after, I normally omit adding salt at this point.
3. Add 2tbsps of baking soda. If you like your Waakye darker add a third.
4. Add your 4 cups of rice. If you like more beans in your Waakye than rice add less rice in proportion to the Waakye .
5. Add salt
6. Cover with foil to keep steam locked in and turn on low heat for 30-45mins to cook.
Tips. After adding rice it may not look like the rice is getting dark but as it cooks and steams and settles it gets dark.
If you do not like the taste of baking soda although u may not taste it at all, you can omit it, sail beans a little longer and go through same process, your Waakye will however look just a slight hue lighter than usual .
Keep posted on our Channel as I show how to make Waakye Stew Next.
Kindly Subscribe to Our YouTube page
To watch the short video on how to Make Waakye
Kindly Like and comment